Restylane and Perlane are classified as fillers. Fillers such as Restylane and Perlane are injected into areas such as the nasio-labio fold and cheeks to add fullness and contour. Restylane and Perlane are also used for lip augmentation to add fullness. Unlike collagen, Restylane and Perlane do not require intitial skin testing and the results are longer lasting (up to 12 months in some cases). Restylane is now approved for use in the United States.
Restylane and Perlane are probably the most exciting non-surgical advancements in facial rejuvenation today. While there are numerous injectable fillers on the market today, many of them have their drawbacks ranging from allergic reactions to short life spans. Restylane and Perlane are safe and natural.
In 1996, the biotechnology company Q-Med of Sweden created a genetically engineered version of hyaluronic acid (Restylane and Perlane). Hyaluronic acid is a polysaccharide, or natural sugar, that is found largely in the skin. Its primary function is to provide volume and pliability to the skin. The unique characteristic of hyaluronic acid is its ability to bind with water up to 1000 times its volume. This property makes it ideal as a filler agent, for even while hyaluronic acid filler is being naturally degraded it continues to attract more water to it. This characteristic allows it to hold its shape even longer.
Restylane and Perlane Applications:
- Wrinkle correction
- Lip augmentation and enhancement
- Correcting nasolabial folds and tear trough deformities
- Shaping the cheeks and mouth for facial contour
Restylane and Perlane Benefits:
- No skin test is necessary
- Lasts up to 60% longer than collagen fillers with higher degree of patient satisfaction
- Clinical trials show that Restylane and Perlane are effective for up to six months after lip augmentation and up to twelve months after facial contouring